We encourage all students to apply, as we individually review each application for these factors:
- Cumulative high school GPA
- ACT or SAT scores, if available
- GPA in the core curriculum
- Strength of courses
- College transcripts, if sent
Because we know taking the ACT and/or SAT may be difficult at this time, the University of Kansas is test-optional for both admissions and scholarships.
Freshmen are assured admission into KU’s College of Liberal Arts & Sciences if they meet one of these combinations:
- An ACT score of at least 21 or an SAT score of at least 1060 plus a GPA of at least 3.25
- An ACT score of at least 24 or an SAT score of at least 1160 plus a GPA of at least 3.0
- A 3.4 GPA on a 4.0 scale, no test scores required or regardless of test score submitted
- 10 - 20 images
- The images should be no more than 5MB each
- Must be submitted through Slideroom
What to include in your portfolio:
- If possible, include work in a variety of mediums.
- Sketches or works in progress are okay to include.
- The portfolio does not need to specifically address the major in which you are most interested (i.e. If you hope to concentrate on printmaking, but do not have any prints in your portfolio, that's okay.)
- Images of 3D artwork may be shown from different views.
Your slideroom portfolio will include answering the following questions. Each question is set to a 1500 character limit, which is about 250 words.
1. What has been your past experience(s) in the areas of Visual Art?
2. Describe your professional aspirations and career goals in the areas of Visual Art?
3. What do you expect from your educational experience?
4. Where else have you applied?
Freshman early action application deadline
KU online admission application must be completed to be eligible for KU general scholarships. Your COMPLETED application for admission is also your application for new freshman scholarships. No additional forms, essays, or resumes are required.
December 1st - Freshman scholarship deadline
Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) becomes available online. KU's Federal School Code is 001948.
FAFSA Priority Date
Completed portfolios and essay questions must be received or postmarked to the Department of Visual Art to be considered for the annual Department of Visual Art incoming freshman scholarship competition.
Transfer scholarship deadline
Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) priority deadline, apply online. KU's Federal School Code is 001948.
March (end of the month)
Notification of Department of Visual Art scholarship award.
State of Kansas Student Aid Application priority deadline, apply online.
Change of School students (students currently at KU) will apply to Visual Art by filling out and submitting a Change of School form available in room 300, Art & Design building. Deadline for Change of School forms to be considered for spring semester is December 1st.
A 3.0 college GPA is preferred for transfer, re-admitted, and Change of School students. A 2.5 high school GPA is preferred for incoming freshmen.
Visit the Department of Visual Art
Tours of the beautiful University of Kansas campus can be arranged through the Office of Admissions. Indicate your interest in the Department of Visual Art and they will schedule an appointment on your behalf.Visit Us