Scholarships & Funding Opportunities

The Department of Visual Art offers dozens of scholarships and awards to exemplary students. Continuing students may receive merit-based support through the annual Visual Art Scholarship Exhibition. Graduating seniors may also apply for the Visual Art PDAA (Professional Development Assistance Award) to assist them with launching their careers after graduation. 

Incoming Freshman and Transfer Students

Incoming freshman and transfer students are automatically eligible for scholarships based on their admission materials and Slideroom portfolio. Completed portfolios must be received in Slideroom by February 1st to be considered. No other action is required. Recipients will be notified via email.

A student loads a kiln with terracotta tiles

Annual Visual Art Scholarship Exhibition and Open House

The annual student scholarship exhibition is an excellent time for teachers and students to visit the Department of Visual Art to see a wide range of strong student artwork. A self-nominated process, applications are generally due mid-April. Normally, an opening event and reception for the artists kicks off the show. In 2022, the show will again be an online exhibition with a selection of works displayed on the Art Department website.

The Art & Design Gallery

Professional Development Assistance Award

Every year, the Department of Visual Art grants Professional Development Assistance Awards to graduating seniors and graduating MFA/MA students to financially assist in their post-graduate professional activities. These can include gallery exhibition, artist residency, professional workshops, internships, professional materials developments, such as websites and other published promotional materials, research travels-connected to a project or special intent, etc. The awards are given on the basis of merit and quality of the submitted professional development proposal and accompanying budget proposal, applicant’s academic record, creative work, résumé, and artist statement.

A Student helps an artist arrange a sculpture

School of the Arts Travel Fund

If you're a School of the Arts student, you have the extra perk of applying for a travel grant. Applications are due the first day of each month. You must apply for a travel grant at least one month before the month of your travel. Any travel before that date will be automatically denied. We encourage applying early, if you know about your travel in advance!

A student makes paper while studying abroad in Japan.

School of the Arts Research Project Grants

The arts have a role to play in framing interpreting, and solving the pressing challenges of our day. The Arts Research Project Grants provide support for original, independent creative and scholarly research by students in the School of the Arts.

Two people discuss a painting.

Four-Year Tuition Compact

For first-time freshmen only. The 4-year tuition compact provides an established fixed tuition rate for four calendar years. No increase in the rate for four years. It also sets the campus and course fee levels for those four years so the costs are known in advance. The fixed rate is in effect for four calendar years (includes summer sessions) from the time the student enrolls in KU. When it expires, students must pay the going standard rate. Four years is the time it takes for a student, taking 16 hours of courses a semester, to graduate with a bachelor’s degree.

A student uses a torch

Knappenberger Family Fund

A fund created to assist Visual Art students, who have financial need, with procuring supplies & materials. Applications are reviewed at the beginning of each semester. Students are eligible for one award per semester. Email for questions or concerns. Applications for Fall '22 are now closed and will re-open in 2023.

paint and brushes

The Midwest Student Exchange Program (for undergraduate, non-resident applicants)

Qualified students will be charged tuition at a rate equivalent to 1.5 times the in-state or resident rate. The Midwest Student Exchange Program covers up to four years of undergraduate study. 

To Qualify:

  • Be a legal resident of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota or Wisconsin.

  • Achieve a high school GPA of at least 3.25 on a 4.0 scale.

  • Have a composite score of at least 24 on the ACT or 1090 on the SAT

Subscribe to our newsletter

Stay up-to-date with Visual Art
Our weekly newsletter is filled with artist profiles, opportunities for students and alumni, and the latest news from the Department of Visual Art.