Portfolio and Essay Requirements
In addition to applying to The University of Kansas, the Department of Visual Art requires a 10-12 image portfolio and a response to an essay question of your choice.
- 10 - 12 images
- The images should be no more than 5MB each
- Must be submitted through Slideroom
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR PORTFOLIO
- If possible, include work in a variety of mediums.
- Sketches or works in progress are okay to include.
- The portfolio does not need to specifically address the major in which you are most interested (i.e. If you hope to concentrate on printmaking, but do not have any prints in your portfolio, that's okay.)
- Images of 3D artwork may be shown from different views.
Choose ONE of the following questions below for your application. Please answer the question in no more than 500 words. This will be turned in with your digital portfolio.
- Why do you want to study visual art?
- Why is art important to the world?
- What impact has art had on your life?
- What does creativity mean to you?
DEADLINE FOR PORTFOLIO & ESSAY SUBMISSION
- The Department of Visual Art evaluates undergraduate portfolios as they are submitted.
- Portfolios and essay questions turned in after February 1 will not be eligible for an incoming departmental scholarship for freshman and transfer students.
PORTFOLIO & ESSAY SUBMISSION
- Portfolios and essays must be submitted through Slideroom.
- You will need to create an account.
- There is a $10 submission fee paid directly to Slideroom.
*If you need a few waiver for your portfolio and essay question submission, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed portfolios must be received by February 1st to be considered for the annual Department of Visual Art incoming freshman scholarship competition. We will continue to accept portfolios and essay questions for admission to the Department of Visual Art at any time.
MARCH (end of the month)
Notification of Department of Visual Art scholarship award.
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR PORTFOLIO AND ESSAY QUESTIONS BY VISITING SLIDEROOM AND SIGNING UP TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT. THERE IS A $10 SUBMISSION FEE WHICH IS PAID DIRECTLY TO SLIDEROOM.