Art & Design Gallery Exhibition Guidelines
The Art & Design Gallery is primarily a teaching/learning space for the direct use of the faculty and students in Art & Design. The Art & Design Gallery Committee is interested in showing the work of others within the University community (Architecture or Photojournalism students and faculty, for instance) as well as artists and designers from the area.
The following guidelines are set forth to clarify the responsibilities of the Gallery staff and Exhibitors.
The Gallery staff will provide:
- Title cards for work
- A ladder, hammers, and picture hanging hooks
- Maintenance of the gallery including lights, floors, walls, etc.
- Security personnel for the gallery during open hours
- An annual promotional poster listing the coming year’s exhibition dates that is mailed to regional schools, newspapers, and other agencies each August
The Gallery staff will not provide:
- Insurance for work placed in the Art & Design Gallery
- Secure storage space for work delivered before the installation day, or secure storage for work left after the show has finished
- Any individual promotional materials – cards, invitations, etc.
- Postage for any promotional materials
- Shipping costs or handling
- Framing supplies
The Exhibitor’s responsibilities include:
- To provide local Exhibit Coordinator, or “agent,” for the exhibition who is solely responsible for the installation and removal of artwork – including shipping, if the exhibitor is unable to be present
- To deliver work that is completely ready to be hung (wire attached, framed under glass or plexi if necessary, etc.)
- To assume financial liability for any damage to the facility occurring as a direct result of the installation
- To assume responsibility for the return of pedestals and cleanup of debris left after dismantling the show
- To provide any publicity materials (cards, invitations, posters, announcements, etc.)
- To provide labels for artwork
- To promptly deliver and hang work so as not to delay the opening schedule
- To promptly remove all work on the close date – we accept no responsibility for work left unclaimed after the closing date!!!
Procedure for installing/removing exhibits
Art & Design Gallery Committee are responsible for assisting in the installation of shows. A rough schedule detailing the responsibilities of an exhibitor in the Art & Design Gallery follows:
- Approximately two months prior to the show date, consider whether an announcement will be created. Any promotional materials beyond the annual gallery poster will be solely the exhibitor’s responsibility.
- Two to three weeks before the opening date, contact the gallery assistant to discuss the schedule for hanging. Generally, all shows come down on a Friday afternoon (from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.) and a new show is hung Saturday (beginning at 9:00 a.m.). Exhibits open on Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Opening receptions may take place on either Sunday or Monday. Let the gallery assistant know if any pedestals or other furniture or media equipment will be needed. If announcements will be sent, they should be mailed out during this time. If local newspapers or agencies need to be notified of the even, contact them at this time.
- Works must be delivered to the Art & Design Gallery completely ready for hanging. We do not encourage work to be mailed or shipped to the Art & Design Gallery. If extraordinary circumstances prevail, arrangements must be made and approved by the Gallery Committee. The local “agent” or Exhibit Coordinators must assume all responsibility for the work’s arrival, hanging or installation, and removal, including return shipping. The Exhibition Coordinator must then coordinate all installation activity with the gallery assistant.
- Any work that exceeds the height limit of the Gallery’s 28’ lift; the exhibitor will be fully responsible for renting & paying for a 34’ ladder or a larger lift from Anderson Rental.
- One week before the show, contact the gallery assistant and confirm all details for the exhibition. Arrange a time to meet in the Art & Design Gallery on Saturday to begin installation.
- The exhibitor is responsible for all labels. They may be attached to the walls or pedestals. Use only 3M double-sided tape (not foam tape) to protect walls and pedestals. The Art & Design Gallery is not a sales gallery, so please do not include prices on labels. A separate price list may be supplied and we will discreetly help you contact the interested party.
- Exhibitors are solely responsible for any promotional materials, posters, announcements, flyers, bios, price lists, etc.
- Receptions may be held on the opening Sunday or the Monday after the show opens. Receptions are held in the lobby – inform gallery staff if you will need a table. Any refreshments (including napkins, plates, cups, etc.) must be provided by the exhibitory. NOTE: NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ARE PERMITTED ON THE KU CAMPUS.
- Exhibitors are responsible for leaving the Art & Design Gallery in the shape in which they found it. They are responsible for the removal of pedestals and the cleanup of rubbish or debris. The gallery assistant will be responsible for the exhibitor’s final checkout and must enforce that the gallery be left in a reasonable state.
Agreement to exhibit in the Art & Design Gallery implies acceptance of these responsibilities.
Attention: Due to lack of storage space, we cannot accept any exhibition by mail; work must be brought in and removed by the exhibitor.